Across the border from Esquel, Argentina, and deep into the Coyhue Forest of the Tenth Region of Chile, flows the azure-depth of the Futaleufu River. A world away from the hustle and bustle that even sleepy Esquel, Argentina represents, the "Big River" (Futaleufu's translation from the native Tehuelche tongue) rolls along amid some of the most unspoiled mountain scenery on the planet. This giant river grows healthy stocks of Rainbow and Brown trout that are fed by abundant hatches of mayflies, caddis, and stoneflies. A heavy resident stock of fish and great hatches combined with classic fly water make the Futaleufu a trout fisherman's paradise! The dry fly fishing on the Futaleufu can be some of the best in the world and the lodge is located directly on the river's best water. Expeditions from the lodge will allow anglers to enjoy wade fishing trips on smaller tributaries as well as floats on waters near the coastal region for anadromous runs of salmon and trout.
Accommodations at the ranch house and three cabins provide rustic luxury for up to 8 guests (maximum of 6 anglers). Dining at the lodge offers meticulously prepared cuisine. The beauty of the Futaleufu valley is unsurpassed and has often been described as stepping back in time to Montana 75 years ago.
7 nights/6 days fishing $5,565
6 nights/5 days fishing $4,950
5 nights/4 days fishing $4,250
4 nights/3 days fishing $3,400
3 nights/2 days fishing $2,550
Non anglers $450/night (based on double occupancy)
*Based on double occupancy and shared guide. 60% surcharge for single boat
Lodging, Meals, all wines, beer, and local spirits at the Lodge, Professional guide services, Fishing License
Transfer from Esquel, Gratuities for guides and house staff, Airfares, Laundry service
The fishing at Futa lodge is largely based on the Futaleufu River (which flows right by the front door of the lodge) and its smaller tributaries and even some local lakes. There is plenty of fishing on the four floats on the main river that the lodge frequents as well as on the famous Lago Yelcho and some smaller tributaries like the Malito. The fly fishing is primarily for wild strains of rainbow and brown trout and the fishing resembles Montana in its style and diversity (although with very few competing anglers). The fish on the Futaleufu River in particular have gone on to establish an extremely healthy population that is the envy of wild trout fisheries the world over. Seasonal expeditions from Futaleufu will also encompass some of the further flung lakes and coastal fishing areas. The dry fly fishing on the Futaleufu and other rivers can be spectacular on a plethora of hatches and on terrestrials. The "Futa" offers some of the world's best sight casting to large pods of rainbows. A larger number of 15-20" trout readily accept foam patterns such as a chernobyl ant with larger fish frequently caught and landed. Streamer fishing for the trophy sized brown trout that inhabit the main river can be outstanding. Anglers seeking diversity can fish different waters on every day of the trip.
- At Futa Lodge the fishing is primarily for Brown and Rainbow Trout, with dry and wet flies.
- Other species occasionally encountered in the Futaleufu and Espolon Rivers include Chinook, Silvers, Atlantic Salmon, Sea-Run Brown Trout, and Steelhead.
- Futa Lodge maintains easy access to some of the prime water on the Futaleufu River-directly in front of the lodge!
- Superb dry-fly and streamer fishing both wading and in drift-boats
- Fly tackle: Dry flies (9 ft., 4-7wt.), wet flies (9-10ft.,5-8wt.), and streamers are all used on floating lines with sink/quick sink tips. 8-12ft. leaders tapered down to 2lb. tippets (dry flies) and 6 lb. tippets (streamers). down to 6 lbs. for streamers.
- Flies: Dry flies would be all Mayfly Patterns, from size 12-20. Also bring spent patterns in similar sizes. Nymphs and Scuds in sizes 10-18 (weighted and un-weighted) and Streamers, Sculpins and Wooly Buggers in sizes 6-12.
- Fishing Schedule: varies seasonally, but plan on 8 am breakfast, lunch on the shore, and continued fishing until evening.
- The Futaleufu River is strictly a catch and release fishery.
The lodge´s inaccessibility through the Valle de las Escalas makes this part of the river unique in its preservation of alpine beauty. Lazy horseback trails wind down to the river´ s edge amongst Lupins and other wild flowers. Futa Lodge stands sentinel on the river bank wishing you well on your daily fishing foray, its lights twinkling a greeting in the evening as you return from the river. The lodge can host up to 8 guests. There are three cottages, one next to the main lodge and two right on the edge of the river. The main lodge consists of a cozy living room with a fire place and two more double bed-rooms.
Capacity: 8 guests
- Professional English speaking guides qualified in casting instruction-all of whom are trained in first aid and C.P.R.
- Swivel-ended frames, fore and aft, and 4WD crew cab vehicles.
- All inclusive bar, featuring local spirits.
- Wonderful wine selection served with our Gourmet cuisine.
- Maid and laundry service
- 24 hour internet service
A well trained chef and his dinner staff prepare outstanding gourmet cuisine with an emphasis on local meats and produce. A traditional Lamb asadios (barbeque) will be enjoyed on one of the evenings. Much of the produce and meat comes right of the of lodge grounds.
- Futa Lodge is situated in the Valle de Las Escalas on the Futaleufu River, in the Tenth Region of Chile. The town of Futaleufu, Chile is about 20 minutes from the lodge. Esquel, Argentina is 1.5 hours.
- How to get there from Argentina(best option): Daily flights from Buenos Aires arrive in Esquel. From Esquel you will be transferred by one of our lodge representatives to Futa Lodge.
- How to get there from Chile: From Santiago you may either take a direct flight to Chaiten, or fly to Puerto Montt . In Chaiten you will be met by a lodge representative and driven to Futa Lodge.
- How to get there from Puerto Montt: Charter flights from Puerto Montt to the Futaleufu Airport will be met by a lodge representative. From here you will be driven to the lodge.