Villa Maria is the second of the De Las Carreras family lodges to open on the Rio Grande, after Kau Tapen, and has offered small private groups exciting fishing on some of the most productive pools in the lower river since 1994. Unlike Kau Tapen or Toon Ken, which are located on the upper river, Villa Maria offers anglers first crack at newly arrived Sea Trout on the lower Rio Grande. For fishermen who enjoy the challenges and rewards of two-handed rods, this is a dream come true! With a friendly and dedicated house staff and guides, Villa Maria allows only 6 rods and is very well suited to caring for small groups of friends and family.
The lodge is an immaculately refurbished ranch house and like all of the lodges owned by Nervous Waters they provide outstanding dining and amenities. The fishing is outstanding for the legendary sea run browns. The Rio Grande is the best river in the world for landing giant brown trout that average over 10 lbs and are commonly caught over 20 lbs. When fishing at Villa Maria you will have the first shot at record fish that will occasionally go over 30 lbs!
Peak Rate: $11,950-$13,950 per person depending on week (January - April)
Included: Transfer from Rio Grande Airport to the lodge, Lodging, Meals, all wines, beer, and local spirits at the Lodge, Professional guide services.
Not included: Gratuities for guides and house staff, Airfares, Fishing License (US $250 per person), Laundry service
The lodge is situated in one of Patagonia's biggest and oldest working estancias. It has four spacious, perfectly furnished bedrooms featuring a cozy dining and living area, as well as a bar, well stocked with local spirits that will welcome you after every fishing session. The lodge has a tackle shop with a good selection of Sage rods, good quality reels, flies, lines, and clothing equipment especially selected to suit the needs of your trip. In addition, guests have the full use of the lodge's fly tying table and equipment. The lodge has 4 wading rooms. A brand new cabin will be your home for lunch and a nice siesta before the afternoon session. The staff composed of your host, chef, maids and professional guides will assist you during the week in all your needs. The lodge will accommodate only 6 anglers per week and is available on a limited basis, due to high demand by repeat parties.
- Capacity: 6 rods.
- Rooms: 6 bedrooms (3 en-suite double rooms and 1 single, and 2 single rooms located in adjacent cabin
- Dining room, sitting room, bar, wade gear room, and fully equipped fly-tying table.
- Telephone and internet access.
- Gourmet dining with Argentina's famed beef and fine wines, traditional Asados (BBQs), and delicious desserts
- Maid and laundry service.
- Fly shop fully equipped with flies, rods, reels, lines, suitable fishing clothing, and Argentine crafts.
- Professional international, and Argentine guides.
- Comfortable crew cab 4-wheel trucks, fitted with rod racks and radios.
- Unparalleled bird watching and rich wildlife (Flamingos, Foxes, and llama-like Guanacos).
The dining experience at the lodge will make you quickly forget that you are in one of the most remote locations on the planet. The chef goes to great lenghts to prepare memorable meals each evening. Kau Tapen offers an A la Carte menu of wonderful cuisine based on local meats, fresh vegetable and delicious deserts. A traditional Asado (BBQ) will be held once during your stay, and you can sample different cuts of meat and wonderful salads.
Every morning you will depart after breakfast for a morning of fishing with an expert guide in one of their four wheel drive trucks complete with rod holders. The fishing is conducted on 9 miles of the Rio Grandes best waters with over 30 productive runs on multiple beats. After a lunch and long siesta guests will return to the river for an evening of more fishing to catch the productive dusk angling. The average size fish is an astounding 12 lbs with records of 30 lbs possible. Villa Maria is on the lower river close to the ocean so the fish here are often dime bright and fresh. The larger waters are perfect for 2 handed spey rods and the guides are very skilled at teaching newcomers how to quickly spey cast. Single handed rods will also get the job done but are not as efficient.
- 9 miles of private access on the Rio Grande, Sea Trout averaging 10 lbs. in size, and running up to 30 lbs.
- The river offers easy wading on fine gravel bottom.
- Tackle: two-handed rods (9-11 wts., 13-15 ft).
- Flies: small dry flies, nymphs, traditional Salmon and Sea Run Trout wet flies for the main river
- Lines: floating lines with sink tips or quick sink tips--depending on water conditions
8:00 am Breakfast
9:00 am Depart for fishing
1:00 pm Lunch and Siesta
5:00 pm Fish till dusk
* Approximately 9 hours fishing daily. *Fishing hours will change slightly depending on the season.
* Villa Maria is strictly a catch and release fishery. Guides are equipped with nets and will assist guests in weighing and releasing the fish, without harming them.
- Villa Maria is located in the Province of Tierra del Fuego. The nearest town is Rio Grande.
- Guests fly into Buenos Aires and spend the night (hotel included) and then fly direct to Rio Grande the following morning (Saturday)
- The lodge is located in a renovated farm house, within the working estancia Jose Menendez.
- The main house is situated a short drive from the river.
- Anglers may fly into Buenos Aires International Airport and take a 3 hour flight to Rio Grande.
- The transfer from the airport to the lodge, by four wheel drive, takes 20 minutes.