I took my wife to the Lower Madison to fish on a partly sunny 50 degree afternoon. It was certainly nice to be on the water again this spring, which has produced high quality spring fishing. We parked the truck and took a short walk before fishing a deep bucket (depression). I immediately hooked and landed a spunky 14" rainbow on the first cast. Before spoiling the pool, I had my wife replace me and make the second cast. Another slightly larger rainbow agreeably received her baetis nymph offering. Our first child received her first assist, at the spry age of 8 months and still in utero! We pulled another 7 fish from this hole before wandering a little farther upstream. Before long we had our fill of fun with great action from the pods of fish stacked up in the deeper runs. Baetis were not observed on the water that day but are conceivably beginning to move more frequently subsurface as the long awaited spring baetis hatch looms ever closer. Midges were hatching productively all day. Trout aggressively began rising on the midges around 3pm once a large cloud came overhead and began spitting light sleet, hail, and large snowflakes. I took advantage and rigged up my new dry fly rod, a Winston B-IIT 9' 4-weight. Numerous rainbows quickly cooperated in selecting my midge cluster dry fly patterns, ultimately highlighting pure pleasure with the new rod. I always remember and appreciate the details of the first trout on a new rod! Time will tell if our in-utero baby girl has the same romantic memory of her first trout assist. Miles
Choose from Montana's most comprehensive selection of fly fishing trips. Options include diverse lodging packages, camping trips, wilderness horse pack expeditions, day trips and world wide travel.
- Lodging PackagesChoose from Montana's largest selection of fishing and lodging packages. Options include unique fishing lodges, exclusive ranch stays, riverside vacation rentals, and affordable hotel packages.
- Overnight Float TripsMaximize your time on the water and make great memories on one of our deluxe overnight river camping trips. Imagine floating into a deluxe camp on one of our private ranches or permitted islands where cold beverages and tasty appetizers await. We take care of all the gear and you just sit back and relax after arriving in camp.
- Horse Pack TripsExperience the wilds of Montana on a multi-day horse pack adventure. Experience some of the lower 48's most remote fisheries
- Day TripsIf you just have a day or two to spare, day trips are a great way to experience Montana's legendary fisheries. We offer both full and half day options.
- Corporate TripsBuild lasting relationships with your best clients or reward your key employees with one of our custom built corporate fishing retreats. We will help you hand pick the perfect lodge, design a great fishing program and help coordinate all logistics from airport transfers to meeting
- InternationalExplore the world's most amazing fisheries with our destination travel program. Let us answer all of your questions and help you choose exceptional lodges in Chile, Argentina, Alaska and the Bahamas
Let us help you build the perfect lodging and fishing package. Options include all inclusive fishing lodges, convenient hotel packages and unique river front vacation cabins and homes.
- Fishing LodgesEnjoy unique accommodations right on the water. Lodge packages include all meals and guided fishing so you can sit back, relax and enjoy a great fly fishing vacation
- Hotel PackagesEnjoy great fishing and keep your costs in check with one of our hotel packages. We pick you up each day at the hotel and in the evenings you can enjoy fun western towns like Bozeman and Livingston
- Vacation RentalsBrowse our large network of vacation homes and cabins that are either on the water or centrally located to great fishing
- Home Waters
Fish over 20 legendary Montana rivers across multiple valleys or get off the beaten path on our exclusive private access ranch leases
- RiversMontana is home to some of the most productive wild trout rivers on the planet. Choose from over 20 fabled blue ribbon rivers that we target.
- Private WatersGet away from it all on our extensive network of private access waters. Enjoy lightly fished streams and trophy lakes on one our exclusive ranch leases
- Spring CreeksSpring creeks offer the ultimate challenge in the fly fishing world. Montana Angler guides fish the famous Livingston creeks in addition to several other spring creeks on some of our exclusive ranch leases.
- LakesSite cast to trophy trout cruising the shallows of several productive lakes. This technical match the hatch fishing produces big results.
- Yellowstone ParkThe rivers, streams and lakes of Yellowstone National Park hold a special place in the hearts of many anglers. Montana Angler holds a federal permit to guide our guests on these legendary waters
- Pre Trip
Plan for your Montana fishing trip. Find out when to come, what equipment to bring, browse blog articles, and more
- Rates and TermsRates and terms for some of our standard trips. For pricing on lodging packages visit each individual package for rates, inclusions and exclusions.
- TestimonialsRead what our guests have to say about our trips and learn why we are rated #1 in Trip Advisor and have a 5 star average on our Orvis reviews
- When to comeFishing changes by the week in Montana. Read about the seasonal patterns in our fisheries. Not all locations fish well every month but there is always something peaking on any given week.
- WeatherWeather in the Northern Rockies can be fickle and it is always a good idea to come prepared regardless of the season. Read about average temperatures and weather patterns month by month
- Equipment guideMost of our trips include rods, flies and we rent waders. Many avid anglers, however, enjoy bringing their own gear. Here are our recommendations for rods, lines, flies, tippet, waders and more.
- Packing ListsHelpful checklists to make sure you include the proper clothing and gear for your Montana fishing trip
- Fishing licensesInformation on rates for Montana and Yellowstone National Park fishing licenses. A link to purchase your Montana license online is also provided
- Travel InfoInformation related to travelling to Montana: which airports to fly into, major towns, etc.
- ArticlesOur blog offers a vast collection of useful articles that include topics related to hatches, seasons, rivers, destination trip reports and more
- FAQFrequently asked questions related to fly fishing in Montana and about our fishing trips and packages
- About UsMontana Angler is a family run business that prides itself on working with the best guides and lodging options in Montana
- Contact Us